Growing up in the South cobbler is some what of a tradition and definitely a right of passage in my family of great southern cooks. Many I know will argue how "real cobbler" is made. Though I have several different recipes of different style crusts, the one that I have made here (which was passed down to me by my Mamaw) is what is best known by the name "poor mans cobbler". My Mamaw had five children, eleven grandchildren and countless great grandchildren. Needless to say money was not abundant to spend on lavish ingredients. Which in all honesty is one of the reasons I love the recipe so much. Just about every person has these few basic ingredients in there pantry. I challenge anyone to make this and say "This isn't real cobbler". Trust me you will enjoy. Bon appétit!
Poor Mans Cobbler
1 cup Milk
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Self-rising flour
1-2 cups Berries (your choice)
Mix Milk, Flour & Sugar together. Pour half of the mixture into a greased 8x8 cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the top with berries then pour the other half on top of the berries. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: Place your skillet in the oven during preheating.
No comments:
Post a Comment