2 cups self-rising flour
4 Tbsp of shortening
3/4 cup of buttermilk
First cut your shortening into your flour then add the buttermilk to the mixture. Stirring the mix with a fork. Spoon out on a floured surface. Gently need the dough. Do not over work the dough. It will become tough if you do. By the way I do not use a rolling pin. Instead I use my hands. I looks more rustic and homemade. Once your biscuits are cut place them into a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet. I brush an egg wash over the top of mine. You can also use a little melted butter instead if you choose. Then bake them at 425° for 10 minutes. After that I like to broil mine for an additional 2 minutes to brown the tops.
Note: I do not buy store-bought buttermilk. It is too expensive. I buy whole milk to cook with and when I need buttermilk I will pour just shy of the measurement I need then add some vinegar to it. This will curdled milk and act just like buttermilk. You will never be able to tell the difference.
Pictured below is a fried egg, cheese and bacon sandwich on my homemade biscuits with a side of strawberries. Simple, tasty and so much better for you then anything out of a can! Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment